*Photos Courtesy: Alabama Historical Commission
After the Civil War
In 1866, Nathan Bryan Whitfield became gravely ill and his son, Dr. Bryan Watkins Whitfield purchased Gaineswood from his father. The family moved into the home on Christmas Eve of that year.
Edith James Whitfield Dustan bought the home from her brother in 1896. She made improvements and moved the kitchen to the basement.
The Dustan sisters sold the house to the Kirven family in 1923, and thus ended the Whitfield ownership.
Gaineswood remained a private residence or vacant. Many families have called this place home since 1923 and Gaineswood has benefited from their care.
In 1966, the state of Alabama purchased the home. After extensive restorations, Gaineswood was opened as a house museum in 1975.